Friday, February 10, 2012

Who Are You, and Why Are You Here?

Day 52 of 365 Tiny Changes

An infant is born into this world, and immediately upon arrival is met by a rather intimidating woman.  This woman looks ancient to the infant, and some what weather worn.

“Who are you?  And what are you doing here?”  The woman demands.

The infant, not yet knowing what fear or intimidation are, looks around and answers, “I was hoping you would be able to tell me.  I’ve never been here before and haven’t had time to figure it all out, yet.  From your lack of welcoming, I guess I’m on my own in that department.”

The woman answers back gruffly,  “Yep, it’s all on you.  I’ve been here to meet about 6 billion other infants, and they all seem to have the same reply as you.  Well, get to it then, but mind you, I’ll be back for your answer to my question.

So the infant moves on through life, discovering what infants discover, and learning what infants learn, until they become toddlers.  The toddler, half expects the old woman to stop in for a visit, but she never appears.

When the toddler has advanced to a small child and is ready to attend Kindergarten, it's very excited.  While standing in the line for the bus on the first day of school, it is, again, approached by the old haggard woman.

“So, who are you and what are you doing here?” she asks.

“Well, you see, I’ve been working on that question for 5 years now.  I think the answer is just on the other side of this bus ride.  I’m going to start school.  My parents tell me that I will learn all kinds of things there.  I’m assuming the answer to your question will be one of those things.”

“You don’t say.” comments the woman while looking deep into the child's eyes.  “Well, get on with it then, and mind you, I’ll be back to get my answer.”  Off she goes, and is quickly lost from view in the crowd of anxious students and parents waiting for the bus.

The child embraces becoming a student.  Learning all the things the teachers teach.  Advancing, year after year, through primary school.

On the eve of the first day of high school, the student is preparing for the new responsibilities that this higher level of learning will bring, when there is a knock on the window.  The student looks out and sees, that after 10 years, the old woman is back. 

The window is opened to hear her ask, “So tell me student, who are you and why are you here?

The student is prepared this time.  “Well old woman, I am ME.”

“And who are YOU?” she retorts.

“I am ME, a child of my parents, a student of my school, and a friend to my friends.”

“Yeah, and?  Is that supposed to answer my question?  Maybe you need to go on to high school and get some more education.  You still have a lot to learn.”  And she stomps off into the night.

The student, continues with the education.  After high school, college is attended.  All the while looking for the answer to the questions the old woman posed, hoping that the answer will be found before the old woman appears again.

After graduating from college, a job is procured.  On the first day of the new job, while waiting at a stop light in rush hour traffic,  the old woman pulls open the passenger door and climbs in.

“So, I see you’ve completed your education and have found a place of employment.”

The newly graduated and employed turns to her with a puffed up chest and answers, “Absolutely, there was never any doubt in my mind that I would reach this point in my life.”

So, the craggy old woman asks, “Well then, who are you, and what are you doing here?”

The answer comes quickly and with great confidence, “I am a college graduate, and I am going to set the world on fire in my line of work.”

The old woman, shakes her head slowly from side to side, in what appears to be a disappointed manner.  “ There have been many before you with the same belief and there will be many after, I’m sure.  But that does not answer my question.”  At the next stop light she gets out of the car and disappears into the rushing crowds on the side walk.

The years pass, the newly employed is promoted to a position of great authority and along the way meets the person that will become the life partner.  A wedding ensues, and the the first child is born.

On the evening that the child is brought home, while sitting alone in the nursery, rocking the child, the new parent is again visited by the old woman.

“Are you here to pose your question to my child?” the new parent asks.

The old woman looks lovingly upon the child and answers, “No, your child and I have had our conversation.  I am here to tell you that you have no worries with this child.  This child already knows who it is and why it was put here on earth.  You are a very lucky parent to have been given a child with such wisdom.”

“I am here to pose my question to you.  Who are you?  Why are you here?”

Thoughtfully, the new parent looks down at the infant.  Slowly, the new parent turns to the old woman.  “How is it, that the child already knows the answer to your question, and I don’t?”

“Some are born knowing, and others die never discovering the answer.  It’s the way of the universe,”  she answers.  “I assure you, the answer is available to you.  You must make yourself available to the answer.”   With this she is gone.

The new parent focuses on the responsibilities of raising the new child.  The new parent also focuses on the responsibilities of being a spouse and an employee.  The child grows up and moves out into the world to live their purpose.

Over the years, many things change and many things stay the same.  The new parent ages into a grandparent, and eventually is left to live alone when the spouse passes away.  After retirement, there is a lot of time given to introspection, and reflection.

One fine, summer afternoon, while sitting on the front porch, drinking a glass of sweet tea, the retiree is once again visited by the old women. 

After all these years she still looks the same.  She has always looked old and weather worn, but she doesn't look any more so than she ever has in the past.  The retiree has a fleeting thought of wonder at how this is possible.

The old woman sits down and joins the retiree for a glass of sweet tea.  Together, in comfortable silence, they watch the world go by.  After a bit, the retiree turns to the old woman and asks, “So, do you want the answer to your questions?”

The old woman replies, “If you’re ready to give them to me.”

“I am”, states the retiree. 

“Well then, who are you?” asks the old woman.

“I am you”, answers the retiree.  “I am me.  I have no beginning and no end.  Though it may appear that my life has a beginning a middle and an end, I do not.  I am part of what is and of what will always be.  I am an Eternal Being.”

“And why are you here?” asks the old woman.

“I am here to learn, to experience life, and to love.  Most importantly to love.  Because to love is to learn and experience life to it’s full extent.  Love is the secret of life.” states the Eternal Being with conviction.

“And so it is,” agrees the old woman.

The two of them sit in the quiet companionship of a teacher and a former student.  A former student who now shares all the knowledge the teacher had to give.

Tiny Change 52:  Share the secret of life.

Who are you, and why are you here?

Best Regards,

Linda

Tiny Blessing of the Day:  I am blessed to be afforded the time to reflect and introspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment